Thursday, February 18, 2010

Honor

I don't know how you speak to or about people but I came across a blog that really made me sad for the people participating in the discussions and the ones they were talking about.

They said things like: "this man of mine will be intruding on my tv time", "time to pick up the monsters from school", "my girls are making me nuts", and "I feel your pain. I had the kids home for 4 days". Even the joke the blog had as one of its posts...all derrogatory jokes about men. Yes, sometimes they can be funny (maybe - not really) but, does that make it right to say them?

I like to live my life speaking positive about people, about my life, about things. I could never refer to my children as monsters and I have never complained about them being home. My children are the light of my life and I love being with them- granted, some days require more patience than others but I can't even begin to imagine talking about them or my husband with such negative tones.

I think we must choose to speak life about people, things, situations. Our words can bring life or death - meaning, if I hear that I am a pain to someone I am going to feel like I am a pain and unloved.

I choose to honor the people in my life by using kind, uplifting words. What do you feel about the whole thing? Do you make the extra effort to speak kindly or do you just let your words fall out of your mouth like verbal diarrhea?

I know that our words will not only honor the person we are speaking about but by using uplifting words and speaking positively, we are honoring God by doing what He asks us to do, loving our neighbor.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great reminder for all of us...we really don't know how things sound sometimes until we hear someone else say the same things.

    I try and honor my children/spouse, and I also think it is great to inject humor into stressful situations. It is good to be able to laugh at ourselves. Taken out of context things may seem different than what they were intended to sound like.

    Some people are more sensitive than others and that is something that must be taken into consideration.

    Thanks again for the wonderful reminder.
    With love and hope,
    Cheryl
    We are Nine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I often say, that you have to choose to be happy and be positive. And while we all have our frustrations, it's about making positive choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is important to speak well of the people around us. A dreadful thing happened to a child in our school last week. He was in a grumpy mood on the school bus home and said that he hated his Dad. The next day in school they told us that the children had found their Dad dead of a heart attack when they got in the door from the bus. I can't imagine how that little 9 year old must feel but wouldn't he want to take those words back if he could? Not that those words were responsible for his Dads death but in the mind of a 9 year old things can get tangled up together. I told our kids at dinner that we should treat every day as if it was our last, we should speak well about each other and never have any regrets...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My aunt told my uncle to drop dead, during an argument and then she stormed out. When she came home she found him dead in the spot where he was standing when she left him. She was never, ever the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh I agree with you so much! I hate reading or hearing things like "I can't wait until vacation is over and the kids are back in school so its quiet again" or anything like you mentioned. Why don't people realize that TIME IS PRECIOUS?! I love spending every moment possible with my son, and while -like you said- some days do require more patience than others, I'd never ever wish that time away.

    The old addage about sticks and stones is way off as far as I'm concerned. Words are entirely important and can definitely hurt people.

    ReplyDelete