Monday, July 4, 2011

"If you don't stop it, I will leave you here forever"

Pardon me but I am getting on my soapbox for a moment.  Hope I don't trip getting up there :D

Anyway, I heard a mom say this to her child while my kids and I were sharing a Chicken Nugget meal. {gasp! yes, I did take them to Mcchokenpukes}

What, you may want to know, was this horrible child doing that his mama was willing to threaten leaving him there forever? He was whining.  WHINING! {GASP!} I know! The horrors.  Now, when I say whining I mean it in the most trivial way ever because I can not stand whining... CAN NOT STAND IT!!!! Nails on a chalkboard is pleasurable to my ears in comparison to whining.  This little boy, who was sitting right behind me, was not even whining enough to have been an annoyance. It was, in fact, more of a whimper than a whine and it was one time.

I am wondering how secure this little boy will feel as he grows up hearing, "If you don't stop it, I'll leave you here forever"? I mean, what happens if he actually does something a little more serious; you know, like break a window with a foul ball or something...

I can't imagine telling my children, empty threat or not, that I would abandon them somewhere.  I want my children to know that my 'yes' means yes, that my 'no' means no, that my 'I love you' is unconditional and that my words have weight, merit and truth behind them...that I will not carelessly throw words around nor will I carelessly throw them around (metaphorically).

We, as parents, need to be be people of our words.  I can not say to my children 'I love you' and in the next breath say 'I love pizza'.  My children are of such greater value to me than dough with cheesy topped goodness - no matter how tasty it is.  I have a strong like for pizza but I can not classify my relationship with pizza as love (unless you count that pizza loves to hang out with my hips & waist but that is pizza's issue {grin}). I think people throw words around much to carelessly - especially words like 'love' & 'hate'.

I can say that there is no one I hate...well, maybe mosquitoes but even with them I think it is more of a strong dislike. Really, they have their purpose somewhere in the grand scheme of things, right? Right? Horse flies...still a strong dislike...very, very, VERY strong dislike. There is not one person I hate. There are most certainly people I would rather not spend a whole lot of time with but hate... nah....

Do I have a serious fondness for chocolate? Oh yes indeedy...do I love it? Not on your life! I love my family.  I love my friends. I love God. Love Justin Beiber? Nopers! Not even a little bit...

I guess what I am saying, as I step down off this soapbox, please watch the words when talking to children or not.  Our words carry a lot of weight to them and I don't want to cause harm to someone because I am flippantly throwing words around without realizing the cost...

....*end soapbox rant*...
Please, carry on with your day... {GRIN}

No comments:

Post a Comment