Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The weather outside is frightful

As I sit here in the warmth of my home, I hear the wind as it gusts - bringing with it a sea of snow, sometimes rain, sometimes ice pellets. It makes me feel absolutely frozen.

I am sad tonight. A lady very near and dear to my heart, someone I love, admire, respect and would do anything in this world for had a miscarriage today. They held their baby girl in their hands for a moment to grieve what never would be and then had to let her go. Through my shattered heart I can not begin to fathom the pain that they feel and so I surround them with my prayers - asking for God to flood them with strength, wisdom and peace... and all the other things they need that I can not begin to put a name to.

I sat with their oldest daughter for an hour tonight, the one who also happens to be my neighbor and good friend as well, and we simply held onto each other and loved on each other.  I don't think words can ever suffice. 

I plan to make some freezer meals for them tomorrow after work. Try to help, try to limit the things they need to contend with while they grieve.

I have tried to be strong, tried to focus my attention on them...

But do you want to know something ridiculous? The whole straw that broke the camel's back? The whole I can't believe this is what is bringing me to tears?  As I sat typing this (continue to type this) I looked over at our fish tank and saw that Jellybean's goldfish, Rosie, a feeder goldfish we bought 18 months ago, has just died.  And it brought me to tears to the point I can barely see what I am typing...

Grief is strange...

2 comments:

  1. Praying for them, and for you to be a good friend and for wisdom how to be!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When they are ready there is a great book called "Holding onto Hope" by Nancy Guthrie. It is an easy book to read and helped me tremendously. Thank God for people like you who act as Jesus' hands and feet and arms during these difficult times.

    With Hope,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete