Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My heart swells

with joy and love and warmth.

I heard the all familiar  jingle of my phone when I receive a text. I casually reached for the phone and hit the button to read this:

"You are a good friend."

  It was my beautiful friend.

They are going through hard times (financially) right now so that means there are things they need to give up. One of the luxuries my dear friend likes is a coffee (large double cream) from a local coffee shop. Monday night I just wanted to do something nice for my friend. I know, firsthand, how tiring, draining, stressful it is to be fighting through "hard times"; I know, firsthand, that sometimes you can't see around the  barracade in the path of your life - you sometimes wonder if there really is an end to it even if you truly believe there is.

I bought her a coffee. I spent $1.53. I saw a spark in her eye when I handed it to her, not because I handed her a coffee but because I handed her a glimmer of hope.


Why am I telling you this? Certainly not to toot my own horn because, given the little we gave in reality, it is more of a shame on our part. Why I tell you is because I want to encourage you how little it really takes to bring hope into the life of someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment