Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My heart swells

with joy and love and warmth.

I heard the all familiar asian jingle of my phone when I receive a text. Thinking it was my husband texting to let me know he had made it to this week's work destination, I casually reached for the phone and hit the button to read this:

You are a good friend.

That was it. It was not my husband. It was my beautiful friend.

They are going through hard times (financially) right now so that means there are things they need to give up. One of the luxuries my dear friend likes is a coffee (large double cream) from a local coffee shop. Monday night I just wanted to do something nice for my friend. I know, firsthand, how tiring, draining, stressful it is to be fighting through "hard times"; I know, firsthand, that sometimes you can't see around the  barracade in the path of your life - you sometimes wonder if there really is an end to it even if you truly believe there is.

I bought her a coffee. I spent $1.53. I saw a spark in her eye when I handed it to her, not because I handed her a coffee but because I handed her a glimmer of hope.

Approximately a month back, we came across a man who asked us for a couple dollars. Sometimes our gut reaction is "no" because we have both seen the abuse of that generosity. Honestly, we have been jaded in that sense. We told him no and we drove away. We weren't even halfway down the block and we hit a "God wall". I searched my purse and found some money, not a lot,  but some and we turned around and found the young man, gave him the money. It was NOT a lot of money but it was enough to get him a meal that night. With tears fighting to break forth he told my husband how much he appreciated our kindness, that he wasn't going to go buy drugs or alcohol, he had hit hard times and just needed to make it through the next couple of days until he got paid. He had had an accident at work and needed to pay to fix his boss's truck.

Why am I telling you this? Certainly not to toot my own horn because, given the little we gave in reality, it is more of a shame on our part. Why I tell you is because I want to encourage you how little it really takes to bring hope into the life of someone else.

Love God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself (Luke 10:27)

No comments:

Post a Comment