Monday, February 22, 2010

How much can I get for this much?

I used to work at a gas station and we had a young girl that would come in with a ziploc baggie full of coins and ask us "How much can I get with this much?". Drove me bonkers. Drove us all bonkers, actually. You had to count the money and figure out how much candy she could get with that much money and the taxes, and work around her with customers who were wanting to pay for their gas, etc. She came in every day - some days several times a shift.
I don't know why I shared that other than it popped into my head right after I finished making 12 wraps for school lunches. One for tomorrow and eleven for the freezer. I got to thinking "wow. I think I just made the main part of 12 lunches for the cost of a McDonalds meal" and that got me to thinking, "how much can I get for this much".
I know.
Don't even try to figure out how my brain works at times - you will feel lost and slightly confused. Unless you do have the same process of thought as I do and then, perhaps, we can help each other out. Never know! {Grin}
I'll bet you are wondering what I made, aren't you? Well, wondering or not I am about to tell you - even show you! Lucky you. {grin}
I found this recipe for Salsa Chicken over at From My Kitchen (thanks Brandi!) quite awhile ago. Today I threw 3 chicken breasts in the crockpot with some salsa (I buy ours in bulk so I guesstimate at how much it was - perhaps a cup) and shredded them up. On 12 tortillas, I spread out some sour cream that I had just bought for $0.50 (I know!), put a couple forkfuls of the shredded chicken and topped it with shredded cheddar. I wrapped them up individaully in plastic wrap and then put them in a freezer bag.
Take a peek at these... (Yumm-o)


11 of the 12 I made (#12 is for tomorrow's lunch)


I would guess that the 12 of these wraps cost me approximately $7 to make. You're looking at about $0.58 per wrap.

When I look at that, I just don't know if I could ever pay $6.50 for a Big Mac Meal or $5.29 for a 6-inch sub with baked chips and a drink at Subway again. (Ok, maybe hardly ever; I really like Subway!)


1 comment:

  1. My husband was just calculating how much we spend on school lunches for our five children...at $2.75 a pop, five days a week...that is almost $70.00/wk and then if you add in a snack for each of them once a week it is over $70.00. It is overwhelming for me to think about making school lunches (with an infant in my arms) or even having enough food around the house to satisfy all of them for their lunches, but this is definately making me think about it a little bit more.

    Thanks for the great idea.

    With love and hope,
    Cheryl
    We are Nine

    ReplyDelete