Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Me & my Daddy

went for lunch the other day - last Tuesday to be exact.

I called him up on Sunday and asked if he would like to have lunch with me, my treat.

Rolled up to his house to pick him up and it was the beginning of a great afternoon with my dad.  It has been far too long since we were able to spend that kind of time together.

Lunch was good, quality wise, but it was the conversation we had once I took him back home that made the day what it really was.  After a while my dad started talking about when we were kids and wondering what our lives would be like, what us kids would be like if my mom hadn't cheated on my dad, if she hadn't left us and had we not lived in a state of wounded confusion for so long.

My dad feels he did so many things wrong.  He was a single parent dad before that was all that common, in fact, he is the only single parent dad I had heard of until  a few years ago.

Anyway, I had the opportunity to tell my dad how I really felt about the job he did.  I told him that he is my hero.  Apparently he doesn't feel like a hero but I told him that it really doesn't matter how or what he feels about it.  He is my hero and I know that he now knows.

So many people have gone on in this life without me being able to tell them the depths of my love for them.  I can now ensure that my father will not be one of those people.

And so it is never forgotten, I leave this for the internet/Blog Land to see and hold for eternity...
Daddy, you are my hero. Were it not for you, for the knowledge, wisdom, discipline and love you have given, shown and imparted I would not be where or who I am today. I continue to grow and flourish through your example (past and present). Your sacrifice, your hard work...  Dad, you stand amongst the heroes of the heroes in my books. I thank you for your selflessness, for your devotion to hard work, for your determination and dedication... I love you, Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment