Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Once Upon a Time

I don't know about you but I LOVE to make up stories to tell my children. I have done it since Rush was born; they have been dubbed "Mommy made up stories". {Creative, I know.} Over the years there have been loving ones, silly ones, truthful ones, growing up ones, sports one, princess ones, ballet ones, fantasty ones and they are never the same because I have never, ever thought to write them out for the kids. (that would probably be a lot of writing since I make up individual stories made to suit each child but I wish I would have done it for them; it would have been a nice memory for them and me.)

Tonight's story for Bug was one, though, that I thought you guys may get a chuckle at as well. So, here you go.

Once upon a time there was a handsome young man named Bug. Bug happened to be very stubborn and his mommy had no idea how he came to be so stubborn - no idea. It certainly wasn't from her. She began to think about how he had become so stubborn and remembered back to a day where they were out by a pond and Bug had stopped to inspect a frog on a lilypad. His mom began to think that Bug must have gotten his stubborn streak from the frog {since there was no way he got it from her}. She told Bug that he absolutely had to go back to that frog and give him back the stubborn gift.

So Bug walked along the river, through the trees, in the midst of the wild flowers until he came to the pond. He walked so long that his legs began to get tired but since he was so stubborn, there was no way he was going to give up. Finally, Bug found the lilypad which housed a certain frog, the one whom we have been talking about in this story.

Bug crouched down, picked the frog up ever-so-gently and said, "Mr. Frog, please know that it was ever so kind of you to give me a gift but, you see, Mr Frog, my mommy has asked me to find you and give it back to you. It's not that I don't appreciate the gift but you see, sometimes it gets me in a heap of trouble and I know you didn't intend for that to happen. So, please, Mr. Frog, I ask that you would be so kind as to take it back."

The frog looked at Bug the entire time Bug spoke. Silence fell upon the pair until Mr. Frog looked off to the side and back to Bug, opened his froggy mouth and said...


..."Ribbit!"

Because we all know frogs don't speak English; they speak Frog!

Silly Bug!

The End.

Well, that was tonight's story and Bug laughed so hard he got the hiccups. I don't think I ever want to quit telling Mommy Made Up stories, especially if they bring my children this much joy...

1 comment:

  1. And I was wondering what deep and meaningful answer the frog was going to say...!

    It sounds like you have a lot of fun story times at your house. Glad you wrote it down because it will be so good to look back upon when he is all grown up.

    ReplyDelete