Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Story of a Girl - Rescued

Find Part One and Part Two here.

On a cold November morning, the girl hopped a city bus by herself. The sky was grey and dreary and seemed to be a sad as she was. She leaned her head against the cold window of the bus and stared into the cloud covered sky. As she stepped off the bus, and felt the snow crunch under her feet, the girl felt a tingling on her face as the tears, she had unknowingly shed, were faced with the bitter Canadian wind. Dying a little inside with each step she took, she made her way to the hospital.

The lady at the registration chair looked at her with a disapproving, downward glare. She doesn't know what happened, what will happen or how much this hurts me right now. She waited in the cold, hard seats of the waiting room for her name to be called; the silence echoed in her head. In her heart she was a broken, wailing mess but outwardly, she remained calm. Too many people had seen her hurt; she would be damned if she would let these people see into her life enough to know the war that was raging.

At last, her name was called and she was handed a gown and pointed to a bed. Everything seemed so surreal. As she lay on the gurney, a nurse came to her and asked if she were ready. As she mumbled a yes, hot tears began to flow from her eyes. The next thing she remembers is being in a recovery room, still alone, being discharged, walking out into that same cold winter air, to catch a bus to go to a friend's house(to recoup)and to then live her life pretending that she didn't just do something that made her hate herself.

From that point on her heart felt void; she was missing something - not something, someone, a little someone she could never gaze upon, never hold, never kiss, never say "I love you" to. The only words she had ever uttered to this poor baby was "I hate you" and her words haunted her every waking moment and bombarded her dreams. The girl began to have dreams of this baby, wondering if it was a boy or a girl. All the while drinking more and doing more drugs to try to dull the pain, getting skinnier and unhealthier, and closer to leaving her daughter (the only one she truly loved) alone.

Months dragged into years and she had changed her life. Still haunted by the loss, she had a dream of a boy, a smiling little boy; whose name was Gabriel and Gabriel looked just like her brother. With the peace the girl felt, she knew this was an image of her son.

For years she was still tormented with heart break and riddled with guilt and shame. She spoke of this to no one. She was scared of judgement, of ridicule...

 No. She thinks of him quite often, like when Bug does something for the first time, every Christmas season when she puts up the tree decoration she bought to honor her son and just about any oter reason you could think of. She still regrets the decision she was coherced into but, it was her decision; she does not allow guilt and condemnation to rule her any longer.

What do I hope to gain by sharing all these hurts with you? Not your sympathy; I have no need for that. My life is what it was and it has made me who I am; it has given me the ability to fight, to be strong, to stay steadfast, to persevere and to be hopeful. Those are the character traits I want to have gained from this - not self-pity and hopelessness I want you to, perhaps, remember to be a little more gentle the next time you hear of a similar story, be a little kinder to a girl who is acting out.

Someone once said to me the broken hearted can minister to the broken hearted; I hope that somewhere and somehow I can reach someone who was/is in the situation I was and give her hope, show her peace and love, show her she is not alone. I hope I can share with someone out there that there is hope and there can be peace after making decisions that we will regret for our entire lives. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you for sharing. I keep hearing the praise song that sings "Your Grace is enough. . .for me!" It's so true!! It's hard to understand how God can so easily forgive us when we can't forgive ourselves, but at some point we just have to put the stick down and stop beating ourselves up, reach up and fall into Christ's open arms. Blessings to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that wonderful post.

    Since I have lost my child due to a terrible accident, two people close to me have shared with me their loss of babies (in one case the woman had two abortions and in the other case one abortion). They are now Christian women and I think that has allowed them, as it has you, to know that they have been forgiven and to forgive themselves hopefully.

    I love the following Bible verse and it speaks about what you said "the broken hearted can minister to the broken hearted".

    2 Corinthians 1:3-4
    The God of All Comfort
    3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.

    With love and hope,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete